6 things to do when life tries to declare you knocked out!
"It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa
Sometimes life hits you with an imaginary impactful punch that feels like one Mike Tyson might have delivered in his heyday. That’s right, a pretty hard punch. Have you ever had those moments where it felt like there was a conspiracy to knock you off your positive perch? I’ve had those moments more often than not. It really takes work to stay on your path.
Some examples of life's knockouts include:
- Job loss
- Inability to find gainful employment
- Relationship struggles
- Parenting challenges
- Fertility struggles
- Missed promotion
- Job dissatisfaction
- Medical diagnosis
- Loss of a loved one
- Spiritual discontent
- And more
You get the idea. Although life is ripe with positivity, there's also times when we encounter things that challenge our mettle. So what should you do when encountering one of life's potential knockouts? Here are a few suggestions to help you persevere.
- Intentionally Breathe. Simple but not always easy. I was told this very thing earlier this week. Breathe. I am you might say. Not the regular everyday breathing but the meditative medicine like breathing. Headspace is a great application that could help you take a few more intentional deep breaths. Consider also visiting your local yoga studio to inquire about breathing classes that are designed to educate you on proper techniques.
- Think about what you need and strive to get. If it’s help, ask those who can help. If it’s space, ask for space. Do not feel you need to explain yourself. Grant yourself the gift of empowerment and as always take the keys and drive where you need to be.
- Talk to an objective ear. Sometimes we need to give ourselves the gift of being listened to. Find the person who’s interested in truly listening and not at the finish line with the solution.
- Be intentionally quiet to tap into your inner knowledge bank. I have a deep affection for silence. It allows me to hear my thoughts. In the silence we find answers.
- The scripture says “Let not your heart be troubled . . . Remind yourself that worry delivers no positive results. Therefore do what you must to refrain from giving in to the seemingly tasty morsel of worry. As the currency states, In God We Trust.
- Resist spreading the reality TV version of your story. It’s so easy to tell the story details. Each time you hear it can draw you deeper into an abyss. The camera doesn’t need to be on for all your knockouts.
If you're reading this article, then you're not down for the count. Surround yourself with positive messaging, keep moving forward, and leverage one of the aformentioned technique to keep you focused on moving forward.